GoPro Hero 5 Black — Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with Touch Screen 4K HD Video 12MP Photos
GoPro Hero 5 Black — Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with Touch Screen 4K HD Video 12MP Photos
- Stunning 4k video and 12MP photos in single, burst and time lapse modes charger not included
- Durable by design, Hero5 black is waterproof to 33 feet (10 meter) without a housing
- Additional GoPro Hero5 black features + benefits below on item page time lapse photo intervals: 05, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 seconds
- Preview and playback your shots, change settings and trim your footage, all on your GoPro
- Note: Check user manual on technical specification and instruction video available before use; audio format: wav
Specification: GoPro Hero 5 Black — Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with Touch Screen 4K HD Video 12MP Photos
8 reviews for GoPro Hero 5 Black — Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with Touch Screen 4K HD Video 12MP Photos
Show all Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Ho deciso di recensire questo prodotto sperando di essere d’aiuto a chi come me cercava queste info prima dell’acquisto.
a livello tecnico non aggiungo altro di quello gia’ detto da persone piu’ competenti di me.
il mio uso di questa action cam e’ esclusivamente di riprese in moto, venendo da una Nilox Foolish mi aspettavo delle differenze qualitative ma non così abissali…vorrei precisare che guido una Ducati e come gli appassionati sapranno le vibrazioni sono altissime rendendo le riprese mooolto mosse quasi fastidiose.
cercavo recensioni che mi dessero indicazioni se cambiare moto oppure videocamera….:-) ho optato per la soluzione piu’ economica e ieri mi e’ arrivata la mia 5Black.
provata subito anche in condizioni di pessimo asfalto….che dire il video e’ stabile e con una definizione spettacolare anche senza usare il 4K
Southern Family –
This camera is the height of modern technology; the amount of tech that is crammed into this tiny thing is extraordinary. I was so pleased after buying this because the quality of the recordings is astonishing. It can record in a variety of different resolutions, dimensions and frame rates including 4K@30fps , 2.7K@60fps , 1080p@120fps and 720p@240fps. The lens is very wide and pictures can be saved in RAW formats which is useful. The waterproof case is a sleek design and is very hardy. I also love the in built GPS that allows you to apply overlays in the GoPro software like speedometers and loads of other information trackers. There are just so many features that I cannot outline all of them in this review.
One problem I have come across is that when I took this in the see body-boarding, although the waterproof case prevented water from entering the camera, sand and salt got stuck in the groove between the screen and the body of the camera – some of which I could not remove! This is also quite expensive, for the price I am paying, I would appreciate a second battery as standard as I had to purchase a second one. However, they do charge very quickly thanks to the USB type C charger.
You also require a decent microSDHC\microSDXC card as 4K video requires very fast write speeds so bear that in mind when buying this camera (I have a V30 rated SDHC).
To summarise, this really is a great camera and I am glad that I have bought it despite the price. I recommend this action cam over others as I simply don’t trust the alternative cheapo action cams on Amazon, at least when you are buying from GoPro, you are guaranteed quality and reliability.
Initially it seemed to be a good camera. Photo/video quality was good, the features were awesome, all the attachments available were also convenient. HOWEVER, it has now been approximately 5 months since my initial purchase (used only lightly and infrequently), and the first time I actually brought it into the water in Hawaii (you know, since it’s “waterproof” to 10m or whatever), it stops working and I see water filling up the front LCD. This was shallow, surface-level snorkeling, and nothing out of the ordinary happened to the camera. I checked afterwards and both of the doors on the camera were tightly closed and free of water. It seems that water somehow leaked in through the front of the camera somewhere and caused the camera to no longer power on, which seems to be a manufacturing defect. I’ve read about the same issue with other people. It’s extremely annoying that I waited this long to bring it in the water, as I’m outside the window for Amazon returns and I have never had positive experiences trying to file warranty claims. I have contacted both Amazon and GoPro and am waiting for a response.
I talked to customer support and sent the product in for replacement a couple weeks ago – still waiting for the replacement to come. They said they normally don’t cover water damage, but based on my description and photos, they said it was a manufacturing issue.
Pen Name –
Recently used on holiday and found it to be an excellent camera. Only downside was it does not come with a good instruction manuel so I would advise looking on YouTube for some of the many videos explaining how to open and remove the battery etc. The camera is very simple to use and can also be controlled via the GroPro Apps. Images and videos can be very easily transferred to your smartphone. The screen is very small but this is really a click and forget type camera and the camera is always in focus. The actual footage is very good. Also used underwater and the footage was amazing. I would really recommend this camera. 10/10!
Also there are many accessories you can buy. I purchased one but the underwater float was junk and so I purchased a genuine GroPro holder/float and it did won’t it said it would do. Please don’t risk spending £100’s on your camera and trust it to a piece of junk buy the genuine GoPro handle/float. They are worth the £20.
This review is from my perspective as a freelance videographer and first-time action camera owner. I will keep the review short by going over the good, the bad, and the ugly of the GoPro Hero 5 Black.
The good (+3)
– Highly portable. I can quickly charge it and stick it in my pocket for on-the-go shooting.
– Waterproof. Drop this in water and you’ll be fine. Swish it around, and still fine. Go diving, yep, still fine (up to 33′ without housing).
– Android connectivity. It works fantastically! With the Capture app, I can pay attention to the shot on my 5″ phone screen while guiding my arm.
– Stabilization. Unbelievably good. If I’m doing a panning shot or walking down stairs, I don’t have to worry about arm jiggle. It’s smooth on a bike.
– Audio. Multi-directional recording on this tiny camera is very good. Listen to the raw audio in the attached video to see what I mean.
– Sturdy construction. The smooth plastic, large touch screen, and heft give it a quality feel fitting to the price range.
– Timelapses look great! I recorded a 2-hour once-per-2-seconds timelapse on a single battery and was able to immediately wirelessly transfer it to my phone and share it.
The bad (-1)
– The flap on the USB C port on the side has jammed and fallen off several times. It is easy to put back on, though the possibility of it falling off again has made me think about accidentally losing it.
– The water-tight housing (allows it to go much deeper in water) bumps up against the record button and takes a bit of a squeeze to get it on. Not the worst thing in the world, but hey, it is a hassle.
The ugly (-2)
– At any light lower than near-direct sunlight, digital grain is visible. When in the shade or when it is cloudy, the quality is noticeably worse than in sunlight. Think of the grain as like a fine paint daub look, circa 2010 phone cameras. Yes, it can shoot 4K at a 60 Mb/s bitrate, but even downscaled to 1080p, the digital grain is noticeable. See what I mean in the attached video. My phone, Galaxy S7, takes far better video than the GoPro in lower-light settings. However, no phone camera beats the wide-angle, waterproofing, and general versatility of this camera.
– The GoPro Hero 5 Black is a great $400 action camera intended for a very specific market of videographers. The major downside of this camera (video quality in low light) does not outweigh all that this camera can do. Throw this tiny camera in your bag, go skiing, surfing, traveling the country, and when you’re all done, put together something worth sharing. What you don’t get with video quality you in return get not having to hassle with lenses, extra batteries, external chargers, equipment bags, and the like, which all get in the way of the action.
22 total points with 4 taken off = 21/24, or about 4/5 stars.
J. Feck –
Having been a GoPro user for years, I was very happy to see that the new Hero 5 Black would be waterproof on its own, without the cumbersome external case system. Happy, that is, until the reality of just how poorly designed the water-resistance feature of the camera really is.
15 minutes into my first snorkeling trip on my family’s recent trip-of-a-lifetime to Hawaii, the camera inexplicably shut itself down without warning or explanation. Assuming it was the battery, I got back on the boat, dried it off, replaced the battery and tried again. Nothing. Further investigation showed that my brand-spanking-new “waterproof to 10 meters” GoPro Hero 5 wasn’t so waterproof after all. The inside of the battery compartment was *soaked* and both batteries were ruined as a result. The camera was used 100% according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and all due care was taken when closing and seating doors to make sure the seal was good. It’s just poorly designed. A quick Google search shows that the Internet is littered with owners having the same kind of trouble.
Aside from the obvious disappointment of the camera’s failure and its effect on ruining countless photo and video opportunities for me and my family, GoPro’s response when I contacted them about the failure has possibly been even worse. After my initial contact and their requests for photos of the camera, batteries and receipt, it took them FOUR DAYS to get back to me. When they finally did, they sent a GROUND shipping label for a return from New York to California (a week in transit) and made no mention of the batteries that their defective product also ruined. They also said nothing about how long I would be without the camera.
I responded to that message and have AGAIN not heard back with any additional information. And I even purchased the GoPro Care package when I purchased the camera! Rediculous. My only thought is that they are having such trouble with the waterproofing on their new Hero 5 Black cameras that they are overwhelmed.
The bottom line is that if you are planning to use your action camera in the water (as so many of us are), you should spare yourself from the flawed Hero 5 black and, even more, from GoPro’s terrible service. How the once mighty have fallen. Caveat emptor.
I *finally* received my replacement GoPro Hero 5 Black after two weeks, three follow-up phone calls and promises to send it second-day air so I would have it for my next trip. Instead, they sent it ground shipping and it arrived the day after I had already left. I was not surprised.
Overall, my disappointment in the failure of the camera remains and my disappointment in GoPro as a company has grown. Since I have invested in GoPro mounts and accessories, I will continue using this camera until it fails (again), but I will look elsewhere for future action camera needs and will not patronize GoPro in the future. Moreover, I would recommend *against* any of GoPro’s add-ons like GoPro Care or GoPro Plus since the company clearly sees them as nothing more than a revenue enhancement and does not actually follow-through on the coverage.
Got one for use on holiday, first impressions are good. The footage of myself and my son on zip lines in Mexico is amazing. We used it whilst snorkeling and were really happy with the results.
The first issue that I have is that the battery life is quite limited, I got about an hour and a half on a full charge. I bought a spare to overcome this but it’s still something to be aware of if you have a full day of action.
My second problem came after a few days when I found that one of the tabs had snapped on the frame that carries the camera, I had only been snorkeling in the sea at this point so I have no idea how this happened. I looked into this and found that it’s quite a common problem. Amazon are changing the case for me and I am going to buy a third party replacement case with stronger tabs.
All in all I am really happy with my purchase.
Ich habe die Gopro Hero5 black Ende August bestellt um sie im Urlaub zu gebrauchen. Ein paar Tage ging das auch gut. Ich habe sie heute morgen im pool getestet weil wir morgen zum Schnorcheln einen Ausflug machen wollen. Direkt nach dem Pool Test hab ich gesehen wie die Kamera einen Leck hat, das Display vorne wurde beschlagen. Ich habe die Kamera zum trocknen ausgelegt, nach dem Sie trocken war ging sie aus. Jetzt kann ich sie nicht mehr einschalten und auch nicht aufladen. Meine Enttäuschung ist groß da ich mich bewusst für ein Qualitätsprodukt entschieden habe und bereit war dafür den Preis zu bezahlen. Und jetzt sowas… Sehr ärgerlich wenn die Kamera genau dann versagt wenn man sie braucht. Sobald ich zurück aus dem Urlaub bin werde ich mich mit dem Kundendienst in Verbindung setzen.